Fall is here! It’s time for sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes and sunscreen. Yes, you still need sunscreen even when it’s cold outside and the sun may not be out as much. Harmful UV rays aren’t just out when the sun is shining – they’re out year round. That means it’s important to wear sunscreen to protect your skin no matter what time of year, so all the time!
Why You Still Need Sunscreen in the Colder Months
While UVB rays are shorter and aren’t as present during cold and dreary months, UVA rays have a longer wavelength and are present year-round. Skin that has constant UV ray exposure without any type of protection can result in early signs of aging (wrinkles, fine lines), hyperpigmentation, sunburn or even skin cancer. This is why you need sunscreen year-round. Sunscreen provides a layer of protection for your skin, and helps with your overall skin health and acts as a preventative measure against things like early aging and skin cancer.
However, the sun is not the only thing sunscreen can protect you from. Sunscreen also provides protection from blue light exposure and harsh environmental factors. Blue light comes from the light projected from technological devices we use daily, like our phones, television, computer screens. Harsh environmental factors that your skin might experience when you’re going to a haunted house or the apple orchard can be lessened with a solid layer of sunscreen.
Benefits of Wearing Sunscreen in the Fall & Winter
Sunscreen Protects from Ice & Snow UV Ray Reflection
UVA rays are known to be able to reflect off of common surfaces in the winter, like snow and ice. They can even penetrate through the clouds on less sunny days when it’s cold out. These rays are more dangerous because they penetrate the skin more deeply and can harm the skin by reflecting off of surfaces like ice or glass. Even reflected light can still penetrate your skin. Most people are unaware that their skin is even being damaged because you won’t feel your skin warming up like you would during warmer months or the summer. You may not realize that you are developing sunburn until they go home and experience tight, hot skin (a sign of possible sunburn). This is why it’s important to wear sunscreen, even when it’s cold outside.
Black Girl Sunscreen Keeps Your Skin Moisturized and Protected
We’re here to ensure two things – your skin is moisturized and protected! Our sunscreens have ingredients that are not only moisturizing, but are safe for your skin! A previous blog, What’s In Your Sunscreen? Ingredients that Protect Your Skin, talks about our ingredients and what they do to help your skin.
Sunscreen Prevents Premature Aging
One of the best benefits of sunscreen is that it helps with anti-aging. Harmful UV rays can be damaging to two proteins that help with elasticity in your skin: elastin and collagen. Some early signs of aging are:
- Fine lines
Using an SPF of 30 or more daily can help slow the aging process from happening too soon.
Sunscreen Decreases Risk of Melanoma
Melanoma is the most serious form of skin cancer and can happen as a result of repeated UV and radiation exposure without adequate or any protection. It occurs when pigment-producing cells (the cells that give color to the skin) begin to grow out of control, becoming cancerous. Sometimes it’s more difficult to spot on Black skin, so it’s important to do checks for what it could look like on more melanated people.
A great way to recognize abnormalities in your skin is to first become familiar with your skin. You don’t have to do super in depth checks, but you should know your skin and how it typically looks. That way, if you see a sudden spot, weirdly shaped hyperpigmentation or an inflamed part of your skin, you’ll be able to recognize it.
Dermatologists say that a daily use of at least SPF 15 or higher can lessen the likelihood of getting skin cancer by at least 40-50% and that can make all the difference.
How to Protect Your Skin During Winter Months
As you’re enjoying outdoor activities in the fall and winter months, it’s important to keep warm when you can and use sunscreen! In the winter, it’s important to understand what kind of skin you have – oily, combination or dry. If you have dryer skin, the winter months are the time to really hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
Even if you don’t typically have dry skin, it’s important to moisturize your skin. During the winter months, harsh cold weather dehydrates the skin. Dehydration can make skin very stiff and dry, which could result in cracks and those small open cuts could make skin susceptible to infection.
You may want to invest in hyaluronic acid, a popular serum ingredient that hydrates skin, or even a heavier moisturizer. Using a moisturizer that really softens and hydrates your skin can assist with your skin’s natural moisture. To get an idea of what you could incorporate for a solid daily skincare routine, look at Skin Care Routine for Black Skin blog post.
Always Protect Your Melanin
Our melanin is amazing, and to keep it that way, we have to invest in and protect it everyday. The best way to wrap up your skincare routine, no matter the weather, is to apply sunscreen. And of course you know we got you covered with plenty of options for all skin types.
- Black Girl Sunscreen SPF 30 Lotion – The perfect sunscreen for daily use that works great before heading outdoors or under your favorite makeup products.
- Make It Glow™ SPF 30 Sunscreen Spray – Our lightweight, continuous sunscreen spray applies to the body evenly leaving a layer of sun protection. Infused with Glycerin, Jojoba, and Avocado to help moisturize your skin, Make It Glow™ leaves all skin tones and types with a radiant glow for on-the-go.
- Make It Matte™ SPF 45 Sunscreen – A lightweight, gel formula that protects against sun damage leaving no white residue and a matte finish infused with ingredients such as aloe, squalene, and shea butter that help moisturize, soothe and heal your skin.
- Make It Hybrid™ SPF 50 Sunscreen – Black Girl Sunscreen’s lightweight mineral and synthetic formula with zinc-oxide is designed to protect against sun damage leaving no white residue and a dewy finish.
- Kids Spray & Play SPF 50 Spray – For the on-the-go parents and kids! This continuous, sticky-free mist leaves an even protective layer on your little one’s skin. Quickly spray and the kids will be protected while they play!
- BGS Kids SPF 50 Sunscreen Lotion – A sunscreen that’s safe for your child’s skin that soothes, moisturizes, protects, hydrates and heals your child’s skin.
- *Bonus* Make It Pop™ Sun Gloss – A revolutionary sun gloss for protected, glossy, and poppin’ lips. Formulated with Broad Spectrum SPF 50, hyaluronic acid, tripeptides, and jojoba. This sun gloss will make you feel good and look good while protecting your lips from the sun.
Don’t forget that the health and betterment of your skin is a commitment and you need to protect it 365 days a year!